Thursday, June 3, 2010

Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

I went to my favourite 'bakso' restaurant the other day with my husband and brother-in-law. Since the restaurant is small and only has 2 parking lots, and those two were occupied. I parked my car at its neighbour's parking lot, which happens to sell bread and 'singkong keju' (deep-fried cassava with cheese on top)..

After having my delicious 'bakso', I decided to buy the fried cassava. While waiting for the cassavas, I look around the bakery and saw nice looking breads on the counter. The prices were reasonable for those good-looking breads, so I bought some for the kids and myself. I could imagine myself eating a soft and fluffy bread with a good taste, of course. Oh well, a perfect diet distraction I know :P

Later in the afternoon, I decided to have one of those breads. To my surprise, the taste was bad. I can tell that they're using cheap chocolate rice (mesis), and the bread was not soft and fluffy! *kasar dan seret* .. And I was totally disappointed. I once bought breads somewhere else, the price was a lot cheaper, but they are nicer to eat!

From this simple experience, I remembered a quote that says "Don't judge a book by its cover"... which simply means, don't judge something by its outward appearance. It is what inside that matters. However, I looked at it with a different perspective.

Let's put it this way:
I bought the bread because it looked nice --> I paid the price --> I ate the bread.
Although it didn't taste good. I admit, I ate the whole bread. "Sayang kan, udah dibeli.. masa dibuang??"

and let's compare it with this..
I met someone that is good-looking, and decided to make friends with him/her --> I invested my time in order to build our relationship --> That someone is not as nice as I thought before. At this point, we are faced with two choices: Continue building relationship with that someone.. or just dump that person out of our lives.

Ya beda donk Va, roti sama orang?? C'mon...

For me, it's quite similar. The bread that I ate, probably tastes good for some people. That's why the bakery keeps on making and selling it. It's a matter of my own taste. Rasanya ga cocok sama lidah gue.. The baker can proudly sell his bread, because according to him, it tastes good.

A person that we think is not nice, might be nice for other people. That person might not suit our style/character. Ga cocok lah dia sama gue, ga nyambung... But God created them, and they're still here on this earth. It simply means that there are still something good in them that we haven't find out. As we all know, the Bible says.. humans are created very very good! (sangat sangat baik)

Back to the quote.. "Don't judge a book by its cover". The book cover design might be bad (blame it on the designer :p), but what's in it might be good.. or vice versa. In order to find out what's in the book, we have no other options than to read it. It's not fair to say that a book is bad, when we only read a few chapters. We can say that a book is bad or good, after we finish reading it thoroughly (from chapter one till the very last page).

It is not fair to judge a person when we only 'read' one or two sections of their life. We really have to see a person thoroughly.. and I really believe that you will find something interesting in that person's life. Even sometimes reading a book once is not enough, you have to read it over and over again to understand its meaning.

Back to that bread story, and the book story... if they're existed until now, simply means that there are some people that believe that they are good.

And if there are some people that we consider them as bad, freak, weird, cupu.. but they're still here until now.. then God still believes that they are good.

So, stop judging the book by its cover. Since you have bought the book, you better read it .. doesn't matter if it is good or bad. Sayang kan kalo ga dibaca?? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment